Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Starting my own business

Get to know Joe Levi, founder of studentmoneysaver.com as he takes you through his challenges on setting up his own business.

Hi Guys,
My name is Joe Levi and I’m the founder of studentmoneysaver.com
I’m going to be writing this blog to tell you a bit about why I decided to start this company and how the journey is going. Starting my own company [instead of going the down the traditional route and getting a city job] is probably one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do. I’d say the most annoying part about it is the fact that you have to meet up with friends from Uni who all work at * insert big shot city firm name here * and earn tens of thousands of ££££. I really want to be happy for their newfound success and most of the time I am, but sometimes there is a secret envy when I see their flashy cars.
The ONLY thing that keeps me going is the fact that I most definitely believe in my idea and I know one day I’ll be able to answer the ‘where do you work’ question with a significant amount of pride as I respond with a haughty ‘my own company, Student money saver – didn’t you see us on the news last night?’ [fingers crossed eh?]

Ok, a quick background:
The idea for Student Money Saver began when I started Manchester University in 2007. I quickly realized that being financially independent for the first time at university was incredibly intimidating. For the first time I had to live on a shoe string budget, manage my bills and pay my rent. Being the tech savvy lad that I am, I did a quick Google search, and after finding nothing that helped me as adequately as I would have liked, I started up SMS and bob’s your uncle.

I didn’t exactly have a big budget so the movement started off with a group of like minded folk who helped me get the website going. Evidently, I am no Bill Gates at the mo but things are finally taking off, which serves to reassure me that my idea is indeed valuable to somebody.

TBH, I think I always knew I would end up doing something entrepreneurial, considering the fact that the second I discovered eBay, I didn’t spend my time glued to a computer screen ferociously bidding, but rather setting up my own eBay store [it’s obviously in my bones.]

I won’t bore you with my history but I will tell you this, if you have an idea that you genuinely believe in [and maybe someone else believes in also], then never give up. It will get difficult, your work hours may not be the orthodox 9-5 but there is NOTHING like seeing results and knowing that your determination paid off.
Look out for my next post with updates on how things are going, we’ll see if I’m still sounding as zen next week.
Happy Saving!

TARGETjobs offers the largest choice of graduate jobs, internships and placements. Independent reviews on top graduate employers and career planning tools and expert guidance. Become a TARGETjobs blogger by getting in touch with me at jackie.balchin2@targetjobs.co.uk 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback here: