Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2014

The winner of the 2014 Female Undergraduate of the Year Award talks us through her first two weeks at Rolls Royce!

Exams are done and England’s summer favourites and sunny weather have left everyone buzzing with excitement. From Cambridge May Balls and garden parties to Royal Ascot and Wimbledon to the World Cup and the Royal Henley Regatta, London is certainly an exciting place to be in summer. It is particularly lively in the Rolls-Royce International office, just outside of Buckingham Palace; with not only great World Cup chat from various nationalities, but also some incredibly interesting projects.

My time with Rolls-Royce so far (all of 2 weeks) has been everything I hoped it would be and more. It is an incredibly friendly bunch of people who are all very bright and committed to strong development. They have all gone out of their way to make me feel welcome and to assign me with stimulating tasks. My first week was filled with a plethora of training and introductory calls from Regional Directors located in Indonesia, Thailand, France, Singapore and Vietnam. I sit in the International and Government Relations team and will be finishing my placement out in Jakarta, Indonesia in August (something for which I am also incredibly excited!).

My morning starts with a short tube ride and a lovely stroll through Green Park. I am lucky to get to pass by the barracks - outside of the palace - where the guards hold a drill parade every morning.  I come in to the office and often have relatively early morning calls as they are usually with the team out in Asia. I work with various people throughout the day on my three main objective projects. I will also be commencing work with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for the Government Relations aspect of the role. The team is upbeat and dynamic - shown by our lunchtime run today with the trainer! In the evenings I am able to get in runs around Primrose Hill and play a few quick games of tennis with friends also working in London. Next week I am participating in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge Run in Battersea Park which is a great team building event and fantastic place to meet other City employees.

I am very optimistic that my internship will continue as it has begun.  Now off to Henley for a weekend of fantastically coloured blazers, phenomenal rowing and fun!

Courtney Gill, University of Cambridge, Land Economy

Think this could be you for 2015? Apply now to the awards here: undergraduateoftheyear.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback here: