Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

Becky Watson joined Capital One last year on their Technology graduate scheme. Could you follow in Becky's footsteps?

Becky Watson, Delivery Manager, Capital One - A day in the life of.....

"I joined Capital One back in September 2013 on the Technology graduate scheme. I am at the end of my first 6 month rotation as a Delivery Manager and I am loving it! My role has involved me working with different people from various areas, with the aim of helping them all work together to deliver a piece of work. I have worked on a number of different projects which has given me a great insight into how the IT department works and also supports the rest of the business.

When you start here, you aren’t just thrown in at the deep end and expected to work everything out yourself. Capital One have put together a great induction programme which tells you all you need to know about the business and gives you the opportunity to take part in some exciting events. For example, one of our first graduate tasks here was to be split up into teams to see who could raise the most money for charity. Our team decided to host a Halloween Party which was great fun and also raised lots of money for charity!
  

An average day for me would start with breakfast (bacon sandwich from E@T, our onsite restaurant!) and then catching up with various members of the team to check how their work is going; sometimes this also involves speaking with our colleagues offshore in India. I then take this information and provide a status update in my first meeting of the day to the core team members. I will continue to check in with members of the team throughout the day to monitor progress and help remove any blockers.

Capital One has created a rotational graduate scheme which allows me to gain an understanding of how various areas of the IT department work. From this I hope to gain a rounded insight which I hope will be a great strength in my future work. In my current rotation as a Delivery Manager, I have been responsible for the delivery of multiple projects which has provided me with new challenges on a daily basis.


It’s great being part of such a huge company which spans all over the globe. Even though the company is so vast, you still feel cared for and valued in everything you do. Capital One is a great company to work for and I look forward to my future here both on the graduate scheme and beyond."

Becky and other members of the Capital One team will be joining us at our next IT's not just for the boys! event. Apply to the event today to find out if you could follow in Becky's footsteps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback here: