Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Read yet another success story from another great student who attended IT’s not just for the boys!!


Final year student Shabna is studying Computer Systems & Software Engineering at the University of Greenwich. Read about her day at the event and what’s in store for her when she’s graduated…..

I was lucky enough to attend the IT’s not just for the boys! event last November in the fabulous Bloomberg HQ Offices (I will never forget their canteen and all those snacks…) and I had an amazing time. Alexandra Watson was fabulous and really brightened up the day for me with her advice and Kathryn Parsons was very inspiring! I loved meeting all these ladies who were similar to me and the team challenge was really fun – especially as we interacted with recruiters too. The best part of the day was definitely the networking as everyone was so friendly and helpful, giving loads of advice. That very weekend I went away and started applying to graduate schemes.

This event was the first time I was drawn to The NET-A-PORTER Group and their technology department, I was always aware of their technology side but I didn’t realise they ran Grad schemes! I personally enjoy what the company does which gave me real motivation to apply for them. Hannah and Lucy were so friendly at the event and their stories about the office made me really want to look into it more. The NAPG application process was much simpler than most, with the focus being on a CV and covering letter rather than a million and one questions about every possible thing a person could ask (I’ve seen many applications like this!). I applied in January and the day after the deadline I got a call asking for a phone interview. Now I have had quite a few phone interviews so I wasn’t too nervous, and the guy who interviewed me was very friendly and easy to chat to. I thought the next step would be the standard assessments, which is where I usually fall, but surprisingly they book you in straight for the assessment centre. I was over the moon to be invited to the assessment centre! I did have a few tests to complete before this but I practised and did my best.

The night before the assessment day I was a bag of nerves. I was reading horror stories about the technical tests a lot of other companies use and was trying as hard as I could to find any hint of what happens at The NET-A-PORTER Group but there were no clues on the internet. On the day I made my way to Shepherds Bush Westfield, to the top floor and there I was looking at the most beautiful office! It really is a stunning place but the most amazing part was just how nice everyone was. We got a delicious breakfast and all the other candidates were lovely too. The day turned out to go amazingly well as it was so casual and fun that I relaxed and just went along with it. At the end of the day I was sad to leave because I so badly wanted to get the job! They were assessing 28 people for 8 spaces so I hoped for the best but I prepared myself for the worst.

The next week I got a call and I had got in! I am not even joking, I was in a state of shock. I haven’t had the best successes for the past few years so to get this job, I was SO proud of myself. I persevered and pushed until I got something – and I’m so glad I did. Now I get to work with some of the best technological minds in the industry and join one of the most fabulous companies in the world AND I’m one of the first Female Software Development Graduates to join the team. 

I have to give a huge thanks to Katy and everyone else involved with IT’s not just for the boys!. Without that event I wouldn’t have known to even apply to The NET-A-PORTER Group and I wouldn’t be where I am now. In my third year of Uni, stressing over the mountain of work but ready for my job starting in September.


Could this be you? We have our final IT’s not just for the boys! in March – APPLY NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback here: