Pages

Monday, December 12, 2016

Mandeep shares his experience at the Explore Sky Finance Insight day

Coming from a Physics degree, a career in finance has always seemed like a natural route for me. However, after attending many career events I found myself continuously hearing the same information from similar types of companies. So, when I heard about Explore Sky Finance Insight day I was intrigued straight away. The next thing I knew I was filling out an application form, completing a telephone interview and I was in!

When I got to Sky I was taken in by the sheer size of their headquarters, Google Maps really does not do it justice! I was greeted with a warm smile from TARGETjobs and taken over to the new Sky building which is full of shops, canteens a dry cleaner... And oh yeah, open offices!

The day itself was fantastic; there was a welcome talk from the head of finance and a few senior leaders. After this, the Sky graduate recruiters spoke about the application process for the graduate scheme, highlighting common places where applicants slip up. It really put into perspective the subtle, yet very effective ways to make a much stronger application, not just for Sky but for any application you may make. There was even a talk from CIMA (the global professional qualification you complete whilst on the Sky Finance programme). It wasn’t all talks, there was a Q&A session with the current graduates and even a chance to network with them over lunch. This was my favourite part of the day as it is where I gained the most valuable information and on top of that there was free lunch.

The day concluded with a tour of Sky and then a team challenge which provided an insight into working life at Sky. I found the team challenge particularly beneficial as it is a task that is commonly asked at assessment centres. The only down side was that I didn’t meet anyone famous but there is always next time I suppose.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback here: