Pages

Monday, May 22, 2017

If you love tech, this is not to be missed! Sravani Royyuru shares her experience at IT's not just for the boys! event and her Spring into Technology programme with J.P. Morgan

October’s IT’s not just for the boys! event was a fantastic way to get tech savvy women clued up about the real-world applications of technology. The day was hosted at J.P. Morgan in Canary Wharf, which was a fantastic backdrop and provided a snapshot into the power of technology within financial services.


Throughout the day, interactions with the different companies provided valuable insights into the different roles of technology across multiple sectors. As the day progressed, the opportunities to participate in simulated assessment centre exercises, networking with Technology MDs and the Panel Q&A with senior females in tech, all helped to dispel myths and discuss challenges about being a woman in technology. I also received some great tips and tricks to make myself stand out from the crowd. The icing on the cake was the ‘Lean In’ style presentation by Anne-Marie Imafidon (founder of social enterprise STEMETTES) – her passion and humour was electric and in turn enthused the whole audience.

Following the event, I was extremely interested in applying to many of the employers who were involved in the event, including J.P. Morgan. Interacting with the J.P. Morgan representatives allowed us to gain perspective into what starting as an Analyst may be like, and I found myself appreciating the culture that I saw. This led me to apply to their Spring into Technology programme, despite being from a non-computer science background, the event gave me confidence in my analytical skills. Following a phone interview that tested my passion for technology, I was offered a place on the programme and spent three fantastic days in Canary Wharf, learning in detail about the firm’s focus on technology, its developments in client facing platforms and the overall opportunities available to STEM graduates.

My confidence to apply to J.P. Morgan, as well as the detail I could provide in my interview, is largely because of my participation in IT’s not just for the boys! – I would like to wholeheartedly thank the whole team at TARGETjobs Events, all the inspiring women on the panel and all the companies who were at the event for a fantastic day. I fully recommend this to everyone – if you love tech, this is not to be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback here: