Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

A message from the other side… of university life


Meet Laura, our third editorial intern. 

Hi, I’m Laura, the newest editorial intern at TARGETjobs and a recent graduate who has just reluctantly entered ‘the real world.’

Two weeks into my ‘real life’ I am here to tell you undergraduates that life on the other side of university is not actually that bad. In fact, it’s actually quite good.

A few weeks ago I was pretty daunted by the prospect of leaving university and no longer having another year of education as my safety net. Yet the more I came to think of it, the more I felt ready to leave education and try something new. Don’t get me wrong, I loved every minute of university. But by the end of four years I felt more than ready for a new challenge and a life that didn’t revolve around essay deadlines and exams. On that note, a week after getting my exam results I moved to Oxford to start an internship at TARGETjobs.

I’ve been working here as an editorial intern for a week now and although the 9-5 day and hour-long commute is hard work, I am determined to make sure that the end of university is not an anti-climax. I’ve already started to learn loads of new skills, meet loads of new people and discover all that Oxford has to offer. Before I left uni I imagined graduation to be this huge, life-changing moment where everything you’ve ever known suddenly changes. But really, it’s not like that at all. Working in a fairly big company and moving to a new city means that there are other graduates around and although it’s not quite the same as freshers’ week, we graduates are once again ‘all in the same boat.’ So let’s tackle the start of our post-uni lives with the same attitude that we tackled the start of university with and we’ll all be fine. Honest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback here: