Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Georgia gives her top five tips for attending an IT’s not just for the boys! event.
University: Lancaster University
Degree: MSci IT for Creative Industries
I attended IT’s not just for the boys’ event and it was by far one of the most worthwhile and valuable experiences I’ve had. Through this event I secured a telephone interview for a summer internship and I now have a clear idea of the company and graduate job I am hoping to acquire.
In order to make the most of the day here are my five top tips:
1. Take a pen! – There is so much valuable information that you will learn on the day and you will want to take note of them. Event partners are more than happy to give out email addresses and sometimes phone numbers so make sure you have a way of noting them down!
2. Do some research – It will make you stand out to the event partners if you know what you are talking about! Do some light research on each event partner that you are interested in and it may be helpful to research the speakers on the day also! Being positively noticed will make you more appealing to the event partners, and may help secure further discussions with the employers.
3. Be friendly – This event isn’t just about meeting possible employers but is also about meeting other talented and creative women. Make friends! Any connection is a good connection that could help drive your future. The forums for the events are great ways to advertise positions and ask each other questions so make the most of it!
4. Be confident – Employees like people who are confident within themselves, this doesn’t necessarily mean you have to be an amazing public speaker, or that you have to boldly introduce yourself to everyone, but I am more meaning that you should take pride in yourself. Dress smartly, as this gives of a good first impression, and speak calmly and clearly.
5. Have fun – Finally, just enjoy yourself! This is a great networking event and provides some great opportunities but just make sure you have fun! A smile is a girl’s best accessory!
Find out about our next IT's not for the boys! event HERE!