It’s IT that is leading the news right now. Last week we told you that IT graduates were missing a trick when it came to applying for graduate jobs, and there were plenty of IT jobs in the deadlines roundup too. This week there is more of the same.
- First up, IT services company Logica is being taken over by CGI. The bid would create a company with 72,000 employees in 42 countries, but it is not guaranteed yet.
- Google has announced that it is teaming up with Teach First to get more IT graduates into teaching. This is one of the areas Teach First has had issues with recruiting graduates into, as many don’t realise the opportunities outside of IT companies.
- There was some strong advice from the TARGETjobs National Pupillage Fair 2012 talks programme. In particular: If you want to make it at the bar, consider offering your services at the Free Representation Unit (FRU)
- Jaguar Land Rover has announced strong growth in pre-tax profits. The automotive industries were amongst those badly hit by the recession, so this turn around is good news for engineering graduates.
- There’s also some excellent advice for any students or graduates looking to get into property who haven’t got an internship lined up for the summer. There are plenty of options available.
- Great Place To Work Institute has named management consulting firm Baringa Partners the middle-range category best place to work in the UK. Other winners included Admiral financial services and insurance, and Intuit software.
- An extra titbit for you; gap year volunteer charity Raleigh International is launching expeditions to Tanzania, Africa. The first trip will leave in January 2013.
- In our series on common mistakes made by graduate job hunters we’re looking at ways in which you can increase your chances of success when choosing which job to apply for.
- And finally, we’ve got our regular roundup of graduate job vacancies that are closing next week. For those of you about to enjoy a four day weekend, now could be the best time to sit down and put together your job applications. Check out the latest jobs here.