Pages

Friday, August 1, 2014

Want to know more about our events? Sanjana came last year and wants to apply again! All applications for TARGETjobs Events are now open!


When I got to know about IT's not just for the boys! event last year, I was really keen on attending it. After a very friendly interview, I was fortunate enough to be invited to attend. The event was held on the 18th October 2013 and it also marked my first visit to the Bloomberg, London office. The day started full of enthusiasm with a talk from a happiness expert and success mentor, Alexandra Watson; her short session bought immense positivity to the event. I still remember her words, which I always try to inculcate in my life; may it be "Confidence - Fake it till you make it!" or "Hide or Shine"! Afterwards we heard from Kathryn Parsons, the keynote speaker, who showed us the brighter side of being an entrepreneur by sharing her life experience as the co-founder of Decoded with all of us. Her session was really motivating and I am sure it must have given a lot of encouragement to women who are willing to start their own business and bring a massive change to the industry.

Other activities all through the day gave me a lot of chances to interact with other girls and get to know about their career aspirations and also make new friends. Moreover, I managed to make many professional contacts, as many recruiters from reputed companies also attended the event, which has proven to be useful for finding work placements. The advice given by various recruiters has definitely helped me to present myself as a confident girl in the industry, as it is also said, IT’s not just for the boys! In short, in one day you will gain many small experiences that will definitely help you with your future endeavours. 

The benefit of attending the event doesn’t end here. It is just the beginning. After the event, TargetJobs forwarded all the attendees’ resumes to all those companies that were present. This proved to be highly beneficial for me, as I was contacted by companies, like EMC, Morgan Stanley, BP, Bloomberg, etc about their roles and offering me their direct contacts for future references. Moreover, I was invited to attend a fast track event at EMC and was fortunate enough to receive a positive response regarding my graduate role.

I enhanced my communication skill during the event as I got an opportunity to interact with so many people under one roof. This one day event gave me a lot of confidence to face interviews and assessment centres for various companies. Eventually, I was successful at gaining an offer from Goldman Sachs and Schlumberger for the summer 2014. I decided to proceed with Schlumberger as per my interest.

Lastly, I look forward to applying for the 2014 event as I believe there is still a lot left to learn. If you are fortunate enough to get a chance to attend the day. Make full use of it.

Sanjana Narang is studying (MEng) Electronic & Communications Engineering at the University of Bristol attended IT's not just for the boys last autumn  

All our events for the 2014/2015 academic year are now OPEN to applications! We look forward to receiving applications from Sanjana and many more of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback here: