Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

We've been back in touch with Emily who won the 2013 National Student Challenge and she's now starting her placement at Siemens!

Since Emily’s last blog on her experience of winning the 2013 National Student Challenge, 7 months on we've been back in touch with her to find out what she’s been up to!

What have you been doing since the Challenge?

After the grand final in December, I returned home to revise for my January exams. My classmates did the same and were consequently surprised to find my face displayed on the University homepage! Upon return to Exeter, I was recognised a few times and even received a very tongue-in-cheek award from a society AGM for being the "Most Famous Member."

Since then I have completed the second year of my Maths degree and started my summer internship with Siemens.

When did you start your internship and how is it going?

A couple of months ago I received news that I would be interning within Siemens' Rail Systems department, based in Euston. On 16th June, I undertook my first commute to London and was introduced to the team. Everyone was very welcoming despite being rushed off their feet! The office is always busy and I seem to meet someone new every day.

Most of my time each day is dedicated to a large research project to be used in workshops later in the year. As well as this, I complete various tasks for my colleagues, attend meetings and sometimes visit other sites. I have never had an experience like this before and learn so much every day; it's great! The internship also counts toward one of my modules, which is an added bonus!

Have you spent your prize money yet?

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything worth spending it on. I just hope it doesn't end up paying my rent!

Would you recommend taking the Challenge to your friends?

My recommendation to anyone that is thinking of taking the challenge would be to apply and go for it - what have you got to lose. For the online testing, just practice as much as you can because you will get used to the pace of the tests and style of questions quite quickly. When it comes to the Grand Final, just be yourself and enjoy the day!  It's been one of the most invigorating days of my life and I doubt I will ever forget the experience.


Good luck with the rest of your placement Emily! Why not take her advice? What have you got to lose! Take the Challenge now and represent your university!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback here: