- First up Dyson is creating 150 new graduate jobs. At least a third of those roles will be in engineering positions, with the company hoping to add more than 10% extra staff by 2014.
- We also told you that Rolls-Royce is announcing a 21% increase in profits. The company, which was the most popular engineering graduate employer in 2011, attributed its success to strong performance over a wide range of products and regions.
- In the property sector we announced that GVA have acquired RGA consulting. This move by the large graduate employer will give them even more experience in the leisure industry, as well developing their geographical base into Scotland.
- We also broke the news that IT tutors are expressing concern that UCAS points are being used to differentiate between candidates in recruitment. Their suggestion was that this would lead to a lack of social mobility in the IT sector, while employers defended themselves by pointing out that 2.1s from some universities are harder to get than firsts from others.
- First off we announced that the National Union of Students is cracking down on unpaid internships. In a devastating tag-team with the Trades Union Congress, the NUS are unleashing a campaign against the exploitation of graduates.
- For those who still think that their university degree entitles them to a job, Ernst & Young had some sobering news. Only around a quarter of the 3,000 graduates they interview each year have the skills that they need.
- On the plus side, we set out just how you can overcome that issue and develop the skills lacking in the modern job hunter. Sure, it can be hard, but you can do it!
- We also asked you to help us raise cash for Great Ormond Street Hospital. Until Sunday 19 February for every ‘like’ we get on this Facebook picture we will donate 50p to charity. Bargain!
- Finally we ran you through the roundup of this week’s graduate job deadlines. If you’re hunting for jobs right now, these are the ones you’ll need to get a rush on for. Check out the latest jobs here.
TARGETjobs offers the largest choice of graduate jobs, internships and placements. Independent reviews on top graduate employers and career planning tools and expert guidance. Become a TARGETjobs blogger by getting in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org